[hcas] Come bird @my hotspot--3 Top Road this Saturday, May 12

  • From: badgerboy@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "hcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:41:56 -0400

Come bird with us this Saturday at Martha Cutler's residence on 3 Top Road near Todd, 8 AM.

*WHEN*: Saturday, May 14, 8-11AM

*WHERE*: Meeting Address: 7932 Three Top Rd, Todd, NC; GPS: 36.346633, -81.591747.

Directions: From New Market take 194 north 13.5 miles. Cross the Ashe County line and turn left at the Todd Volunteer Fire Department onto Three Top Rd. Go 2.6 miles and look for mailbox #7932. The driveway is on the left across from the mailbox. The dirt/gravel driveway goes .1mi up a hill to our house. If you miss the driveway you will pass a barn on the left and head up a long steep hill and pass some hoop greenhouses on the right. I will try to remember to tie a bandana or something to the mailbox.

*WHAT*: Please meet at 8AM for this approximately half mile walk that should last about an hour and a half. We will walk around the house, along the driveway (though trees and scrub have been cut down by the neighbor in an effort to "tidy up" his place) and a short distance up the hill, a bit steep but not far. Most of the habitat is edge - pasture along the driveway, pasture filling in above the house, forest at the top and 2 very small streams. Walking surface is gravel, dirt, "lawn" and pasture.

We might go to Todd along the river if things seem slow. There are usually several different species of warblers, belted kingfishers, and fairly reliable Acadian Flycatchers.

Hope to see you there!  Guy