[HUG ] Re: Arial Ballet

  • From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hasselblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:32:08 -0700 (PDT)

That's a tough and good question. I don't know if I have an answer as I'm a bit
new to the Canon.

I think there is a difference between what I see from directly viewing a Velvia
transparancy (which is about all I shot other than BW with my Hassy) on a light
table and what I see on the screen. More saturation on the Velvia and a bit
less contrast between light and dark.

However, I scanned all my velvia for printing and I see a big difference
between my scans and my digital shots. I have a much greater dynamic range with
the digital camera file vs the digital scanned file. There is more detail.
Seems some detail was lost in the scanner (Nikon 8000 scanned at 4000dpi; 400MB
files) believe it or not; especially in the shadows. Not sure why; my guess is
that the digital camera's firmware is customized to produce the best direct
from the sensor and the scanner relied on the computer to do that
interpretation. Just guessing though.

So as I was hybrid (shot and developed my film, scanned and printed digitally),
the prints I'm getting from the Canon are as good as if not better than from my
scans. And the whole kit is a heluva lot lighter to carry around!

Just what I'm seeing so far.
Glad you thought the birds were "cute" :-)
Bob

Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
rgacpa@xxxxxxxxx