[hashcash] Re: zombie calculator, messaging without SMTP using identity brokers (Re: response to "proof of work proves not to work"?)

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:44:27 -0400

Simon Bohlin wrote:

Thank you Eric for the compliment :).
I've now completed a version 2.2 with some economics and an option to calculate with the same numbers as those "anti-hashcash researchers" used, see attachment.

good. I like. I might change the wording slightly on the economic calculations. Something like:

for a given spam campaign, assume a [ ] response rate. Using the pass-through traffic volume calculated above ([ ]), there will be [ ] responses. if the profit from each response is [ ] dollars (or any currency unit), the [[spammer revenue]] will be [ ]

if I can get a long overdue project done today, I will take a stab at making the changes.

I must say I disagree with a bunch of points. But operating on the principle that you never kill someone on your own side, I will be as kind as I possibly can. :-)

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
The _only_ difference to current SMTP is the _traceability_ of all messages.
the problem here is similar to that of money stamps. Anytime you have any "currency" that requires a broker, you have a system that can be overwhelmed or corrupted. Centralized authority
(aha, identity brokerS provide a multitude of authorities -- easing but not eliminating your mentioned problem points)

I am confused by this assertion. If you have multiple identity brokers/authorities, you do or can reduce the overwhelm factor. But what if a spammer is able to launch a denial of service attack against an identity broker to either give them reputation for bad service or somehow sully their identity. I mean, if you have 3 million machines, what kind of mischief can you do to an identity broker? If you have enough money, can you corrupt an employee to reveal internal secrets or somehow help them gain access to certain keys internally.

Never forget that organized crime has far more money than it knows what to do with and they are always looking for "interesting business opportunities" as a laundering vehicle. After all, it wasn't for money laundering, where would places like ADM, Nestlé, and other major multinationals be?

but more seriously, there is a problem with "transient" identity brokers. Spammers can own identity houses and they have a dirty identity stream which reduces the value of the reputation and they can "appear" to cooperate but just turn around a new identity to the spammer. Also, what's to stop a spammer from buying lots of identities and the liberally trashing the reputation of an identity broker.

I can think of more scenarios some more probable than others on how to ruin reputation independent of the number of brokers around.

Based on what we have all seen in the certificate business, identity brokerage business will quickly become owned by VeriSign and shrink down from hundreds or thousands of brokers to maybe 10 worldwide. Reason being is only very large identity brokers can handle the liability issues associated with issuing identity.

means you need to have an evidentiary process for proving someone is a spammer, the judicial process to evaluate the evidence and make a decision whether or not they are spammer, and you need and authority to enforce the devaluing of a currency or currency source. You also have issues of fundability end reach of an authority.

Each one of the stages are corruptible. Some very poor countries may be tempted to sell their ID issuers to an external source for management. if ID issuers can be private rather than publicly managed authorities, then nothing will stop spammers from owning their own ID issuer, selling a bunch to the real public and then slipping in their own spammer IDs.

From what I understood of my email contact with Netmesh, the difference to current SMTP is only the _traceability_ of all messages. This can bring many brokers with different levels of connection person -- internet identity, and according levels of reputation, with free+anonymous brokers at the low end, just like what we have today! Those people are very into the "social software" ideas and it seems trust will be linked with friend and friend-of-a-friend relations to regulate the value of one's trust "currency". Spammers will surely hi-jack more zombies and owners of zombie-computers will complain to their ISP about their messages being bounced.

Hm, so where's the news, what difference from the current situation? Ah, _traceability_! (Which also cuts down on phishing for login accounts to Paypal and banks) (And maybe ISPs and end-users will get stronger incentives to clear up the _traced_ and thus proved-to-be-infected zombies.)

okay, this is one aspect that is good. we also can provide similar zombie tracing through a human mediated feedback mechanism. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if spam that is "clearly spam through the content filter could also be used to trace zombie sources.

Surely many will send all email with their government-granted identity out of habit because it works best, and ignore if the government profile your probable voting preferences. Real identity + end-to-end encryption (_without_ key escrow, if you are a privacy activist or a dissident) would serve most users well, but it would be nice to also have anonymity.

And also consider what could happen if a government wanted to silence dissenters inside or outside of the country. Either they could tie up the IDs in court or just get them revoked without question depending on the process.
The usage of a broker adds one more layer (on top of DNS on top of IP-adresses) where legal regulations and (color)-listing can be applied, so let's assume legal attacks will also go for the lower layers, to cover all types of messaging at once. As long as you can publish on some URL, that URL can be your identity and if you can run software on the server, you can be your own broker. Otherwise dissenters would go for the free+anonymous servers + stamp their messages! :-)

I'm having two problems with this first is the assumption that on anonymity means you'll be heard. It's entirely possible for people to structure the network so that if the messages "anonymous" it will be rejected with or without stamp. It's not like the legally protected anonymous pamphlet distribution on political issues here in the states. I can see people rejecting anonymous communications. After all, I frequently do not answer the phone if caller ID doesn't reveal who it's from.

the second problem is reliability. For me, DNS fails about 10% of the time (thank you Comcast). what a guarantee do I have that I will be able to reach my identity broker in order to resolve and identity. If I can't reach the identity broker, or they can't resolve the ID, what do I do?

this is a small but significant advantage the stamps have over any centralized infrastructure. They are completely independent of any resources except those you provide it. No servers, no certificates, just a simple calculation.

so this is why we like stamps. Nondiscriminatory, decentralized, and annoyingly flexible.

I only dislike the waste of electrical power and that it discriminates mobile devices. I think stamps are excellently used in Camram, since as I understand one stamp (low power waste :-)) gets you on the white list, and one user-report of spam gets you from the white to the black list. This gives the majority of legitimate email users a strong factor advantage against spammers, and I think it should be more widely adopted.

on the power issue, most machines start using about 30% more power when generating stamps so it's not a huge differential. If on the other hand people start getting smarter about power and are able to cycle the power down to 10% of maximum, then it's a bigger issue. :-)

as for making it more widely adopted, well, I could use some help. darcs archive can be made readily available at any time. it's relatively close to being ready to stuff into a VM Ware bubble which means deployment would be a snap for most people.

Trying to remember some situations when someone would need to send email to large amounts of previously unknown recipients, I only come up with NGOs who collect emails for a new mailing list, or researchers who send coupons or other feedback to many of their interviewees. Since this is opt-in situations, simplest (but still not simple enough) solution is that you must remember to white-list them before they start mailing.

this is a royal pain in the ass. What I get to putting the audio track to my presentation, you will see that there is a few scenarios a Web 2.0 type applications with proof of work stamps can be used to reduce the value of an attack by a spammer. one thought was to use the captive zombie to generate such as stamp. But the same server could send a note to the local machine (how?) Indicating that the stamp generator really wants them to respond to this message to get on their mailing list. Maybe do a pop up with mail to URL or something.

Yes, it's an ugly hack, it's just an initial thought so feel free to abuse me for it.

(Spammers could gather intelligence on current events to figure out white-listed senders to impersonate (Paypal scammers comes to mind...) but both researchers and list servers would have nothing against using a proven identity (either issued by government, ISP, or some group of officially known members of the NGO/research lab). Maybe the only argument against verified/guaranteed identity of sender is the loss of anonymity (where, as I suggested in my previous mail, hashcash-type stamps should be an excellent way to get your messages stick up above the seas of spam).

you still having convinced me that if I say "the King is a fink" that King George couldn't call in his buddies and have them stomp on my identity broker and make my electronic identity and therefore my ability to speak, go away.

if I switch to another identity broker, then I need to reestablishment bona fides with all the other people I deal with and there's still no guarantee that my identity still won't go away. And if it goes away enough times, I self censor which is what the First-Amendment-over-everything folks call the chilling effect.

I still haven't been convinced that there isn't a chilling effect property with IDs. unfortunately, it will take arguments from the ACLU to make me most comfortable. I know how altogether to well how the government can make your life a living hell was they know how you identify yourself to the world.

About "good zombies" -- isn't it quite impossible to prevent spammers from (ab)using the "good zombies" or the ISPs stamp minting resources, since legitimate ISP-customers can be converted to bad zombies (traceable or not!)? (And ISPs are scared of loose customers so they don't shut off zombies.) I think it still boils down to _tracing_ the senders, (color)-listing them, and debating when to list or unlist.

it depends. If you use an authenticated zombie or a poorly authenticating zombie, then yes, spammers can take over and make our lives not very pleasant. On the other hand, if you use something like your authentication system (which is used infrequently enough that network reliability issues is not as much of a problem) then zombie should be relatively secure. But that's why I'm raising it to this group. Can we come up with a good authentication system (existing or invented) which will allow a zombie engine to be used by any service provider or Web 2.0 application supplier to generate stamps on behalf of the user.

maybe the answers we need to use proxies and look at slightly modified protocols to signal "I need a stamp" and then the local host generates the stamp based on that interaction. Again, we are a bunch of smart people, we can come up with something good.

In conclusion, I believe we will soon enough get to think more about how and where hashcash fits into a system of traceable messaging.

could be. But you know, I think camram could deploy faster than the traceable messaging system and would-be overall more reliable because of it's near endpoint distributed nature. But I am willing to be convinced, it just may take more work than the list can tolerate.

I will ask for help to finish up camram and get it into a vmware bubble. Nothing says that we can't add the traceable messaging system to camram at a later point if it should prove worthwhile. After all, camram is proving itself to be a rather flexible framework for experimenting with anti-spam techniques.

---eric