[hashcash] Re: how many bits / how to negotiate (Re: Re: stamp creation std. deviation)

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:05:59 -0400

Adam Back wrote:

Jonathan's fast minter does ~4 Megahashes/sec or about 22 bits/sec on
a 3Ghz P4.  But I concur: I think 20 bits is about right now also.

but you're talking about a stamp of under a second. That's really way too short. You are only looking at degrading spammer performance by 50(ish). If you use a 15 second stamp, you are degrading to performance by 750(ish). the smaller stamp also makes the zombie argument more viable.

if you can't bring yourself to go to 25 bits, at least consider 23. I'm running that level stamp on a Pentium II system and it works just fine. Granted its low-volume but since it in background, I don't care how long it takes.

am I the only one running hashcash on a medium-sized e-mail system?

Bare-hashcash can not do this.

but bare hashcash can use another model I'm experimenting with. And that is to listen to incoming e-mails for average values. When the average value crosses a certain percentage threshold then the local hashcash value increases. No granted, this is not really useful in the beginning but we might be able to make it work if we look at the ratio of hashcash to non hashcash Messages and use that to set the threshold value. Then you look at some interpretation of all of the hashcash values and set the local hashcash value.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct most