[hashcash] getting rid of stamp value variance (Re: Re: Hashcash vs. Time?)

  • From: Adam Back <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:16:05 -0400

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 09:32:07PM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Trying to calculate a reasonable threshold based on stamp values is not
> something I consider wise given that the collision in a stamp is a
> probabilistic event and can be anything up to the full number of bits in
> the hash.  It's all luck.  :-)

btw In thinking about v2 stamp formats, it occurred to me that if you
include the stamp length in the stamp, you will not get larger than
expected stamps ever.

(Where the modified definition of value is 0 if stamp-bits less than
measured bits, and equal to stamp-bts otherwise, where stamp-bits is
the number of bits defined in the stamp).

Eg.

0:20:040426:adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:123ab234fddee7

(Anonomasia first proposed putting the stamp value in the stamp)

Of course this has no impact on the time-variance.

Adam