[hashcash] OmniMix with recipient related Hashcash

  • From: Christian Danner <hashcash_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:48:22 +0100

Hi!

I followed the recent discussion about methods to use Hashcash for
spam protection. I have to admit that most of those strategies appear
to me much too complex to achieve a better acceptance. IMHO in order
to raise the approval rate deployment and practical operation have to
be less complicated in the first place. Keep it simple! And later on,
if it stands the test, add further gadgets or even build a dedicated
infrastructure.

The presence of a recipient specific token itself already qualifies a
message, so that spam recognition systems have to rate it in their
evaluation process, considering the value (bits) it represents as
well. More bits - better rating.

That's why I added a simple Hashcash minter to OmniMix (v0.9.9.2), a
Windows based NNTP/SMTP/POP3 proxy server used to anonymize messages
by means of onion routers. It now allows to equip all mails, whether
sent the normal way or through the remailer network, with tokens based
on the recipients' ('To:'/'Cc:') mail addresses ('abc@xxxxxxx'). The
size has to be set within the program. To prevent from exaggerated
computation times there's an option to reduce it on a
message-by-message basis dependent on the number of tokens to be
calculated. So even longer mailing lists don't 'cost' more time and
shouldn't overload the system.

Just my 2 cents of contribution to your project.

Kind regards and best wishes for a successful future

Christian
--
OmniMix .. protect your privacy
http://www.danner-net.de/om.htm