[hashcash] Re: Length of recent X-Hashcash cookies?

  • From: "David Mertz, Ph.D." <mertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:34:31 -0500

On Dec 15, 2004, at 2:30 PM, Simon Josefsson wrote:

Hi.  I have been using X-Hashcash for a while, but the recent cookies
are long (>80 characters), which look quite ugly.

Yeah... I found this as well.

In the Python implementation I wrote, I use more-or-less the "shortest tokens that obey the spec." I use a short-ish default salt, and start my counter at one hex digit, only adding more if needed to find a match. That makes for variable length tokens for the same resource, of course, but a fixed length isn't anywhere in the spec (and moreover, resources obviously differ in length, hence so do complete tokens).

It would be nice if the C version had a similar option to use "shortest possible tokens"... at least a non-default switch.

PPS.  How about renaming X-Hashcash: to Hashcash:?  The 'X-' prefix
also look ugly, and was only discussed in RFC 822, not in the current
RFC 2822.

I disagree on this. Even if 2822 doesn't mandate it, the use of X- prefix "special" headers is widespread, even ubiquitous. I like hashcash, of course, but we should be nice to the header namespace. How would you like it if MS started renaming those awful 'X-TNEF' headers as 'TNEF' (whatever either means), or even if Spam Assassin used simply 'Spam' instead of 'X-Spam'. The X- is a nice filter for optional or non-mandated RFC2822 headers.

Yours, David...

---