[handiham-world] Handiham World for 9 June 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:46:31 -0500

System. Please do not reply to this message. Use the contact information at
the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MP3 audio stream:

Get this issue as an audio podcast:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World!

Beam antenna rises above flowering crabapple trees

We are definitely in the summer ham radio doldrums. I can tell that we have
reached this time of year by some of the comments I hear, usually by word of
mouth or by e-mail:

*       "What is wrong with the bands?"
*       "When will the bands get better? I don't hear anything on HF."
*       "I never hear anything on the repeater."
*       "My radio club doesn't meet during the summer."
*       "No one is around to help me with my station/antenna projects."
*       "When I went to check into the net, there was no net control station
and no one ran the net."

Does any of this sound familiar? I hear most of this same kind of discussion
every year about this time. As summer arrives here in Minnesota, people
start thinking seriously about outdoor activities and taking vacation. Of
course we have ARRL Field Day in June each year, but the overall disconnect
from many ham radio activities really begins in mid-Spring, generally
following Dayton HAMVENTION.

Mother Nature contributes to the problem of HF operation by throwing
thunderstorms at us all summer long. The resulting radio interference pretty
much makes operation on the lower HF frequencies something that would try
any operator's patience. Then there is the onset of spring and summer jobs
waiting for everyone when the snow finally melts here in central North
America. I have noticed that radio club attendance usually starts to decline
in March. Many radio clubs don't even meet during the summer because
everyone has so much going on that it is difficult to find a quorum for a
meeting.

When I hear questions about the HF bands, I know that they are usually
coming from newbies who don't have too much experience and have never
learned about the seasonal fluctuations in HF and VHF propagation. Old
timers know that the 6 m band comes alive in the late spring and early
summer, just as the lower HF bands start to get plagued by thunderstorm
static. If these newbies haven't learned about seasonal fluctuations, they
certainly don't know about or understand solar weather or the sunspot cycle
either. Oh, well... I look upon it as a teaching opportunity.

Last week we reminded you to get ready for Field Day. As long as band
conditions aren't too good, now is the time to head out to the backyard for
an antenna inspection. Those of you listening to the podcast can hear me as
I go through my usual checklist to make sure that my antennas are going to
keep working all right. An antenna inspection should be done several times
each year, or even more often if you have experienced severe weather in your
area.

What to look for:

Are the antennas still up in the air?

Don't laugh -- I have heard from people who didn't even know half of their
antenna was lying on the ground someplace after one of the supports broke. A
visual inspection will include making sure that any wire antennas are still
in position and that tree branches are not impinging on the radiating
element or feedline. Other types of antennas, like vertical or beam
antennas, should be visually inspected just to see that all of the elements
are in place. If an antenna is designed to rotate, you should look to see
that trees have not grown so close to the antenna that they enter the
turning radius. So far, all of this can be done by simply walking outside
and looking around. If you are blind or have low vision, you will want to
get a helper to do this part of the job with your direction.

What about the feedline?

Next, you are going to pay particular attention to the feedline or
feedlines, and if the antenna is really high in the air, a pair of
binoculars can bring the feed point (center insulator) into focus so that
you can see if everything is connected properly. This antenna inspection is
a pretty simple one and it does not include any tower climbing. You can
follow the feedline down to the point where you can do a close inspection,
being sure to include where the feedline enters the building. Since you can
actually feel and manipulate the feedline at that point, you can check for
any deterioration that might indicate a need for replacement. You will also
want to check to make sure that where the line enters through the wall that
water or insects cannot get into the building. If coax connectors are
covered with a sealant, check to make sure that they are still being
protected from the elements. I hope you have some kind of lightning arrestor
and grounding system where the feedline enters the house. Check to make sure
the connections are solid. If you do any actual work on the antenna or
feedline, all of the radios inside should be disconnected from the AC mains
to avoid any possibility of electric shock. Remember, at this point we are
just doing a visual inspection.

Have animals damaged the coax?

Since one of my antennas is a ground mounted Butternut vertical, I will need
to do a close up inspection of the feed point to make sure that the coaxial
cable is connected at the base, both the center conductor to the vertical
radiating element and the coax braid to the grounding system and radial
field. Since this particular antenna model has several capacitors that I can
reach from the ground, I can also check to make sure that they have not come
loose or broken over the winter. My antenna has a small fence around it to
protect the base, and even the fence deserves a quick look over to make sure
that it is still structurally sound. The vertical is fed underground, so I
will need to inspect the parts that are visible in the feedline system,
looking for signs of deterioration or damage caused by rodents or rabbits.
(I once looked out the back window and saw a squirrel happily eating away at
a plastic lawn chair. Animals can cause similar damage to coaxial cable.)

Towers need special attention.

If you are lucky enough to have a tower, you should also include it in your
periodic inspection to make sure that it is structurally sound, and that
includes a close-up inspection of at least some of the hardware that holds
the tower together and the tower base to make sure that corrosion has not
compromised its integrity. Naturally you want to inspect as much of the
feedline as you can easily reach around the base of the tower and take a
look at the grounding system as well.

A checklist can help. Pilots use them before takeoff - you can use
checklists, too.

Every antenna installation is different, so I can't get overly specific
about a check list. However, I can say that it is my responsibility to know
and understand the design and layout of my own antenna system so that I can
make sure that it remains safe and effective. You have that same
responsibility for your station, whether you have a disability or not.
Perhaps you cannot easily get outside or see the antenna system yourself,
but you should still have a complete understanding of where things are and
how they work and how they should be inspected so that you can direct your
helper or helpers during a routine inspection. Of course it helps to have
amateur radio operators -- hopefully friends from your local radio club --
to help you with your antenna inspections. But if you don't, you may have to
call on friends who know very little if anything about amateur radio and
antennas. In that case, you really have to be able to take charge of the
inspection and give good directions so that the inspection can be done
properly and your helpers can be safe as they are following your directions.
You may want to make a checklist of basic items so that you don't forget
anything.

Yes, summer may be the ham radio doldrums, but it is a lot easier to do an
antenna inspection on a nice summer day than it is in the middle of winter.
So if you can't hear anything on the bands it might be time to think about
an antenna inspection followed by iced tea on the veranda.

For Handiham World, I'm...

Patrick Tice
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

  _____

"Echolink isn't real ham radio."

Arrgh - I think I'll gag if I hear that idiotic phrase one more time.
Echolink not only is ham radio, it is now also being used to meld the that
most traditional of operating modes, Morse code, with modern operating
practice.  This story headline from ARRL, sent to me by KB3LLA, says it all:

"W1AW Offers Code Practice, Bulletins via EchoLink"

Yes, it's true - the network of Echolink-enabled repeaters and computers
worldwide will be pressed into service as a learning resource for Morse.
When the QRN is blasting the dickens out of 80 meters this summer, you can
learn code or copy bulletins sans-interference, via Echolink. Go for it -
you'll have fun with the code, and rest assured, you are using real ham
radio technology in the process!

  _____

FCC ANNOUNCES JUNE 25 BROADCAST ENGINEERING FORUM

FCC Round Seal

One of the goals of the National Broadband Plan is to evaluate the
reallocation of spectrum from the broadcast television bands, including
rule-makings regarding service areas, distance separations, channel-sharing,
and other mechanisms to achieve its spectrum reallocation goals. In support
of such future rule-makings, the FCC has invited a number of broadcast
industry engineers and technical experts in related fields to convene in
four working sessions intended to address certain technical challenges and
opportunities facing the broadcast industry today.

WHAT: Broadcast Engineering Forum
WHEN: Friday, June 25, 2010, 3:00 p.m. EDT
WHERE: FCC Commission Meeting Room, 445 12th St. SW, Washington, D.C. 20554
ONLINE: http://reboot.fcc.gov/live/

The topics for discussion will be (1) Cellularization of Broadcast
Architecture, (2) Methodologies for Repacking the TV Band; (3) Improvements
in VHF Reception; and (4) Advancements in Compression Technology. Following
these working sessions, each group will publicly report on its preliminary
findings and recommendations with respect to its assigned topic.

Agenda
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. Welcome and Overview of the Working Sessions
3:15 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. Cellularization of Broadcast Architecture
3:45 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. Methodologies for Repacking the TV Band
4:15 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Improvements in VHF Reception
4:45 p.m. - 5:15 p.m. Advancements in Compression Technology
5:15 p.m. Questions/Discussion
6:00 p.m. Conclusion

The reporting session will be open to the public; admittance however will be
limited to the seating available.

Audio/Video coverage of the meeting will be broadcast live with open
captioning over the Internet from the FCC's web page at
www.fcc.gov/realaudio. The FCC's web cast is free to the public and does not
require pre-registration.

Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities are available upon
request. Please include a description of the accommodation you will need.
Individuals making such requests must include their contact information
should FCC staff need to contact them for more information. Requests should
be made as early as possible. Please send an e-mail to fcc504@xxxxxxx or
call the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau: 202-418-0530 (voice),
202-418-0432 (TTY).

For additional information about the meeting, please contact Alan Stillwell
(202-418-2925 or alan.stillwell@xxxxxxx) or Rebecca Hanson (202-418-0859 or
rebecca.hanson@xxxxxxx).

-FCC-