[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 19 January 2011

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:47:23 -0600

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

MP3 audio stream:

Get this podcast in iTunes:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Description: Subscribe in
iTunes

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World!

Last week we promised: I replace my Internet router and configure EchoLink
port forwarding.  Will I ever be on EchoLink again?  Tune in and find out!

Today we begin with our "Connecting with EchoLink" segment. I see that last
week has turned into "this week", and I have kept up my schedule and
replaced my old Belkin-N wireless router with a hopefully more reliable
D-Link DIR-655 wireless N router. Although I liked the Belkin, it had some
odd quirks like simply ending its wireless transmissions when it felt like
it and refusing to bring up the access screen through the browser so I could
check the settings. I decided to hang on to it for a spare since it mostly
works, but isn't really reliable enough to keep as a primary unit.

Like most households, ours has multiple Internet-enabled devices. There is a
mix of wireless and wired clients on our home network, so a wireless router
these days typically has at least four LAN jacks along with the usual
wireless capability. You can tell that there are two ham operators
interested in technology in our household, because we have all sorts of
gizmos that need Internet connectivity to work. When my son Will, KC0LJL, is
home from college, it is not unusual for us to host a LAN party with a few
of his friends visiting us and logging in to play online games.

I've owned several wireless routers in the past, upgrading to allow for
better wireless coverage or more robust security, or to add more custom
configurability.  So here we are at the latest choice, the D-Link DIR-655.
After a lot of web research and reading user comments, especially those on
Amazon.com, I settled on the DIR-655 because it had lots of configuration
options, excellent wireless range, is compliant with the IEEE 802.11N
standard for faster data transfer, and was reasonably priced at less than
$75.  I also like the D-Link products I already own.

The router arrived in due course, and yes, I did open the box and read the
setup directions.  I suspect that most manufacturers offer a CD-based
automated installation system, as D-Link does.  I have configured many
devices, so I elected to instead connect the router via a LAN cable to a
computer and do the configuration through a web browser. My reasoning was
that any kind of "typical" installation that might be configured via the CD
would not suffice for my special needs, like configuring EchoLink. Typically
one gets into a router by opening a web browser and typing in router's ip
address, which is usually something like 192.168.0.1. This will open the
main login page on the router, and you go in with the "admin" name and
whatever the manufacturer says is the default password.  Once, in, you will
want to go through the housekeeping settings, such as setting your new
password (write it down!), giving your wireless network a name, and setting
the wireless security credentials. Usually the firewall settings can be left
alone, but some applications, like EchoLink, will require that several ports
be open.  It is safe to do so, but you have to be careful to still maintain
the other firewall settings.  It is dangerous to turn off the firewall
because it exposes your network to all sorts of bad guys with keyboards!
Most routers have a "DMZ", with is a "demilitarized zone", that is outside
the firewall. Although a computer on the network can be placed in the DMZ to
avoid firewall issues, this is only a good idea for short term testing. I
like to keep all of my computers and network devices behind the firewall.

Operating systems like Windows have their own firewalls.  Incorrectly
setting the Windows firewall to block EchoLink can also cause a problem of
course, but since I knew my machine had already been working fine on
EchoLink with the old router, I would not need to mess with any Windows
firewall settings. It was time to head for the "Advanced" menu on the router
configuration page and choose "Port Forwarding".

In the screenshot above, I have entered the name of the application
(EchoLink) for reference later on so that I know which app is dependent on
which port forwarding rule.  Under the "Ports to Open" column, I have
entered 5200 in the TCP box and 5198,5199 in the UDP box.  In the "Schedule"
column I have used the pull-down menu to choose "Always" for 5200 and "Allow
All" as the inbound filter setting for 5198, 5199.

So far, so good, but we are not done yet. Since the router can forward ports
only to one computer on my network, I must decide which machine will be my
primary EchoLink computer.  Since the one I use for the ham shack
applications has an IP address of 192.168.0.100, I need to enter that
address in the IP Address box. I make sure the rule is active by checking
the box to its left, and I then choose "Save Settings" and wait for the
router to tell me that the settings have been applied. If you are wondering
where I got the port numbers, all of this information about what EchoLink
requires is on the EchoLink website.

Now I have to make sure that my computer will always have the same IP
address when it talks with the router. Virtually all routers assume a
typical user will not mind if an IP address changes from time to time. The
"DHCP Server Settings" is our next stop.  DHCP stands for "Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol". That is fancy talk for the router being able to
deal out IP addresses more or less at random within a range of addresses to
all the various devices on the network. Each device on the network must have
its own unique IP address.  These can change "dynamically" as new devices
enter the network, as might happen at a LAN party or when one switches on an
Internet radio or iPod Touch. Since we have told the router to forward
EchoLink ports to only one IP address, we now have to make sure that the
single IP address our main EchoLink computer uses never changes in this
dynamic system. Our setting here is to check the "Enable DHCP Server" box,
and fill in the range boxes with 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.199.  This
allows the router to dish out IP addresses between and including those two
numbers.  Notice that I left the IP address of the EchoLink computer, which
is 192.168.0.100, outside the range of dynamically assigned addresses.

Next, it is time to make reservations.  No, we are not going out to dinner!
We are going to the DHCP Reservations List, which allows us to tell the
router that the IP address of the EchoLink computer is to be "reserved" just
for that computer and no other.  The "Enable" box is checked and the
settings can be saved as before.  It is now time to log out of the router
and test EchoLink.

EchoLink can be started normally, and the "direct connect" option in setup
should be enabled. The station list should come up.  Locate the EchoLink
Test Server and try to connect. If everything is working right, the
connection should complete and you should hear the familiar, "Welcome to the
EchoLink Test Server" announcement.

In the EchoLink screenshot, I am connected to the test server and there is
confirmation text in the right side of the screen where the station list
usually appears. I can toggle the spacebar to transmit and run a short audio
test, in which the test server will echo what I have said back to me.  This
confirms that I can make connections and that my audio levels are set
correctly.  Since I had EchoLink working before and the router has nothing
to do with the audio settings, I did not expect (nor did I find) any
problems with levels.

Finally, I ran test connections with other stations and nodes. This was
necessary because I have noticed that in some circumstances it is possible
to connect to the test server without forwarding the ports. Connections to
other nodes and stations will likely fail, however, until the ports are
properly forwarded.

Resources that helped me with this setup were the very well-written support
pages on the EchoLink website, the Portforward.com website, which lists a
wide variety of routers and their configuration settings for EchoLink, and
Lyle, K0LR, who gave me good advice about putting the static IP address
outside the DHCP range.  The Portforward.com website is one that is listed
as a useful link within the EchoLink support pages.

What if you have a different router? That's where the Portforward.com
website will really be helpful.  It gives directions that are specific to
the model of router you have. What doesn't change are the EchoLink port
requirements, but making the actual settings can look quite different,
depending on your router. Some, like my old Belkin, had a "Virtual Servers"
page where settings were made.  This sounds quite complicated, but like any
complex task, it can be broken down into basic, easy to follow steps. I like
the idea of learning my router's setup, because that means that I will be
able to make changes myself later on.  I will feel good about being in
charge of my own network, just as I know and control my amateur radio
equipment. If something changes, I prefer to be able to diagnose the problem
myself. It is something that, as radio amateurs, we should all try to do.
Remember, you may be the only one available when a problem with your station
or network needs attention!

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham System Manager <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

  _____

Thunderstorms make antimatter! <http://www.handiham.org/node/1018>

NASA Science News reports that at any given moment, about 1800 thunderstorms
are in progress somewhere around the globe. New observations by the Fermi
Gamma-ray Space Telescope show that many of these thunderstorms may be
making antimatter. It's good to know that these storms are good for
something besides creating that horrible radio static ham radio operators
call "QRN".

FULL STORY at

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/11jan_antimatter/

You can also download the audio of this story to your MP3 device or to play
on your computer.

  _____

Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act Discussion

Last week we mentioned that The National Federation of the Blind today
commended President Barack Obama for signing into law the Pedestrian Safety
Enhancement Act (S. 841), which will protect the blind and other pedestrians
from injury as a result of silent vehicle technology.

Then we asked:

What do you think?  Will adding sound to quiet vehicles be effective?

I stirred the pot a bit by predicting that it will not be very effective,
when I said, "Remember, standard gasoline-powered cars are already so quiet
that tire noise easily exceeds engine noise, and these cars will not have
any required noisemaking alert system. Furthermore, the urban environment is
already full of noise, which will make anything but a rather sharp, loud
alert system difficult to hear. Our cities are already noisy enough without
adding loud and annoying noises to the din. Obviously manufacturers will
have to figure out a way to make the sound so distinctive that it stands out
from many other noises even in a high decibel environment. While this alert
system sounds like a good idea, the devil is always in the details and I
remain skeptical that it will be effective. In the meantime, watch out for
bicycles."

We asked you, "Have you had a bicycle or automobile encounter?  If so, what
do you think about an effective sound alert system? Have you ever had a near
miss while using your radio, because you were distracted?"

The responses I got ranged from complete support of the noisemaker alerts to
those who thought they would make no difference at all. Some comments
included:

*       "The last thing we need in the city or anywhere is more noise. I'm
sure the President was well intentioned in signing this, but all too often
the people at the top who make the laws don't always see the big picture."
*       "With today?s technology a simple electronic and/or
electro-mechanical oscillator could be installed on the silent vehicle that
could and would overcome the inherent danger..."

·         "Afraid I have to pretty strongly disagree with you about the need
for added audio to many hybrid cars. I have personal experience with several
including the Prius. I've been next to several of these cars when they start
moving, and unless there is gravel or other rough material under the wheels,
it can be impossible to tell the car is moving. In particular, when the car
is coming to a stop from a slow enough speed that the gas engine is not
operating, they are basically inaudible. This is also true when they start
slowly."

*       "If you are blind, you have the right of way and drivers must
yield..."
*       "I hope they do better with them than they do with the noise made by
street lights. I stayed with my fiancé's family in Canton MA for 2 months,
and their lights make a beep beep beep sound, around every second they beep
normally with a very fast sound when it's safe to walk. Problem being, when
you're close to them, you can't hear the beep only when you're trying to
sleep in a house with the window 30 feet from it and some of them you can
hear it but only to cross on the wrong corner from which it's trying to make
it safe for you to cross, the correct corner you can't hear it. Another
problem is, that fast beep, with traffic noise, sounds like a distant
jackhammer. Really, and I think that's just annoying enough to make it more
difficult in an area that's already almost impossible to cross streets
anyway."
*       "Have the electric cars beep or something when they are moving less
than 20 mph.  Not expensive, could use the 'back-up beep' module required
for commercial vehicles and program trigger for any motion under 20 mph.
Owners will object to having to listen to it, but they'll get used to it..."
*       "Wait! I got it! Put a tiny fan in these new-fangled vehicles. Give
it just enough power to run one of those lovely African soccer horns
(vuvuzelas). That'd do the trick, wouldn't it? (Just like those beeping
traffic lights!)

Finally, my personal all-time favorite response from Tom, K6FUN, who wrote,
"Rocks in the hubcaps."

Tom has that F-U-N callsign suffix for a reason!  Thanks to everyone who
weighed in on the topic.  We hope for the best with this alert technology,
and will wait and find out what happens.

  _____

Letters

Bob, N0UF, writes:

Hi Everybody,

On Feb 24th QCWA Chapter 154 in West Palm Springs is celebrating Leo
Meyerson's 100th birthday. For those who don't remember, Leo owned and
operated World Radio Laboratories in Council Bluffs, IA for many years. So
here's the plan: take a QSL card, write 'Happy 100th Birthday Leo' on it and
send it to:

Leo Meyerson, W0GFQ
19 Park Lane
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

Gene Pentecost, President of Chapter 154 will make sure they get to the
party so everyone who attends can enjoy them. One last thing, tell every ham
you know to do the same thing, QCWA member or not. Spread the word, at every
radio club meeting you attend, at every net you check into. I want Leo to
get hundreds, maybe even thousands of cards.

Thanks & 73,

Bob Roske, N0UF
President QCWA

  _____

ISS tracker

Did you know that you can listen to the packet station beacons from the
International Space Station?  Try it for yourself by tuning your two meter
FM transceiver to 145.825 MHz simplex. Next, go to the NASA ISS Tracker
website at:  <http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html>
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html

The graphical display shows the location of the ISS and the projected path.
A red line outlines the "footprint" of the ISS's radio coverage at any given
time.  When the footprint extends over your geographic location, you will
begin hearing the packet bursts.  Of course to decode the packets, you need
to add a TNC, but it is still fun to hear the data bursts just to confirm
that you are within range.  The next step, if you are interested, is to
visit the ISS website and learn more about how to use the packet station
aboard the ISS: <http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/>
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/

Can't see a graphical display?  Then just tune your radio to 145.825 and
keep monitoring.  It won't be long before you hear the transmissions.

You may also want to visit www.amsat.org for the latest information on new
projects.

  _____

A dip in the pool

Today's dip into the question pool takes us to the new General Class
question pool that will come into use on July 1, 2011:

G3B04 asks, "What is a reliable way to determine if the Maximum Usable
Frequency (MUF) is high enough to support skip propagation between your
station and a distant location on frequencies between 14 and 30 MHz?"

Possible answers are:

A. Listen for signals from an international beacon
B. Send a series of dots on the band and listen for echoes from your signal
C. Check the strength of TV signals from Western Europe
D. Check the strength of signals in the MF AM broadcast band

Well, I certainly hope you chose answer A, "Listen for signals from an
international beacon".  Beacon stations exist to help us determine
propagation conditions, and I want to keep reminding our readers and
listeners that they are out there and available.  Our friends at NCDXF have
a great list:  <http://www.ncdxf.org/pages/beacons.html>
http://www.ncdxf.org/pages/beacons.html

  _____

Remote base progress report: 19 January 2011

Both stations are functional. Report problems to wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

Would you like to try the station right now?

If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that
EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.

Don't forget about our station at Courage North, in far northern Minnesota's
lake country. If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to
listen to the radio, you can search for W0EQO-L, node 261171, and connect.
Just as with the other station, entering a frequency and pressing the enter
key will allow you to change the radio's receive frequency from the EchoLink
text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper sideband, Lower sideband, or AM,
respectively. One thing to remember is that EchoLink control only works on
receive, not transmit, and it is only available if there is no control
operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base software.

  _____

This week @ HQ

*       All January digest audio is posted. QST digest audio for February
2011 is in production by Pat Tice and Ken Padgitt, and will soon be
available to our blind members.
*       Don't put it off!  General Class students had better study faster.
The NCVEC Question Pool Committee has completed the new General Class pool,
which will be effective on 1 July 2011.  We have heard that the pool
questions are more difficult, and there are more total questions in the new
pool.  Our advice to those of you who have been dragging your feet about
getting your General Class upgrade is to get busy right now and pass that
General!  If you wait too long, you will have to go through the new pool and
take a harder exam.
*       A big thank you to our net control stations  for "saying yes" and
volunteering for this leadership role. We really appreciate your help and
everyone has noticed that the nets are running more smoothly than ever.
*       George, N0SBU, advises that the January digest will be mailed along
with the February digest.  The delay was caused when one of the publications
was lost in the mail so Bob, N1BLF, could not get it read in time.

·         Our nets have really been running well! I have to complement our
net volunteers for doing such a great job, and our net participants for
joining us on the air often and showing such good support for our on the air
activities.

·         Tonight is EchoLink net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net
is at 19:30 United States Central time, which translates to +6 hours, or
01:30 GMT Thursday morning.

o    EchoLink nodes:

*       KA0PQW-R, node 267582
*       N0BVE-R, node 89680
*       HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)

o    Other ways to connect:

*       IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

*       We need an Echolink, IRLP, or WIRES node in Rochester, MN so that
Sister Alverna, WA0SGJ, can continue to check into the Handiham net. There
is no one to take on this project at the moment.
*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or
us.

  _____

Supporting Handihams - 2011.

standing figure

Center's secure website.

·         Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:
https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294
<https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294&srcid=344> &srcid=344

·         Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down

·         Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift
is a tribute to someone, don't forget to fill out the tribute information.
This would be a gift in memory of a silent key, for example.

  _____

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, Handiham Manager
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Handiham Membership Dues

·         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal
date is the anniversary of your last renewal, so your membership extends for
one year.

·         Join for three years at $30.

·         Lifetime membership is $100.

·         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for
the year.

·         Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our
activities.

·         Discontinue your membership.

Your support is critical! Please help.

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert at 763-520-0532 or
email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hams on the air.

ham radio news.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org