[openbeos] some notes about the license

  • From: Marco Zanon <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:47:41 +0200

Hi all,

I've just read that many of you are concerned about the MIT
license which allows proprietary software to "steal" OBOS code
without giving anything back.

In my opinion, we should be worried about something much more
dangerous: fragmentation.
I'm somewhat 'obsessed' by this problem... :)

To me, we should change the license and add some clauses to deny
the right to duplicate the whole work making little changes and
renaming the product.

In other words, we already avoided the fragmentation of packages
(because OBOS comes with a full operating system, not like the
Linux world where they have 12 window managers and so on), but
I'd like to avoid the fragmentation of distributions too, which
could - in some years - break the compatibility and confuse
users.

Or, if you really don't want to change a little the license, we
could add - when OBOS R1 will be ready - a specific page on the
site inviting everyone who has some ideas to discuss with us
instead of forking OBOS...

thanks :)

Marco Zanon [http://www.marcozanon.com]