[openbeos] reply: preferences symbol, cultural bias(?)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:19:20 +0200 CEST

(I lost the email I'm responding to. New thread.)

About the symbol used for preferences...
Symbols can have different meaning in different cultures.

Back in school here in Sweden, if I remember correctly,
checks (V-ish shapes) on a test, especially red ones, meant
that you had made mistakes, like given incorrect answers.

Personally I think there's a difference between the V-shaped
(Amiga-logo) "check" and the X-shapes used in a BeOS R5
check box. (Zeta's purple v:s don't seem right, to me.)

I think of the x:s as boolean options, whereas the v:s are
related to action, timing, workflow, but maybe that's just me.

/Jonas Sundström.             www.kirilla.com