[openbeos] Re: partitioning tool ?

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 20:00:39 +0200 CEST

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> The main problem with DriveSetup is that it is so "stiff"...
> only primary partitions and all. But it isn't entirely bad
> I think. Presenting a list of disks and then entering a mode
> where you setup one of those disks is not a bad idea.
> I would not present all information at once. It is a frightening
> process and therefor, presenting it in the least confusing/
> distracting way is a must.

I'm pretty happy with the way Installer and DriveSetup work,
but people new to Haiku and new to partitioning, may need
some extra hand-holding through a resizing install operation;
I don't know. I'm just hoping it won't turn DriveSetup "2.0" into
all-wizard, all-the-time.

Related or not:
One of the things I like with the BeOS's view of the disks, is
that DriveSetup and Tracker show the disks in the same order.
I believe it's the actual order on disk. Which helps a lot when
you're using multiple systems, Grub, Linux, etc, often do not
use the same /dev/disk terminology, or even recognize the
filesystems, let alone spell out the volume names for you, so
it's nice being able to at least have the right "number" so
you don't blow away the wrong partition.

/Jonas Sundström.