[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V7 #147

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 01:01:31 +0100

Euan Kirkhope wrote:

On 31/05/07, Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is web core really as good with memory as everyone thinks - i.e. has
anyone tested it?

I use the webcore based Safari as my main browser on my Mac, I also
have Firefox.  Safari is by far the worst memory hog.

I don't know if the problem is webcore or Safari specific but Safari
happily uses up 150MB without ever freeing it.
Firefox does not appear to have this problem.

You need to select quit from the Safari menu, not close window.

It'll of course free everything when you quit but that's not the problem. The problem is that it doesn't free the memory while it's running, If I close the Safari window memory usage should drop sharply, it doesn't.
I have no idea if this is from Safari specific code or webcore though.

Firefox does not appear to have this problem

--

Nicholas Blachford
www.ps3coderz.com