[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V1 #100

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 18:58:53 -0500

>>Even the biggest programs will not use this memory,
>
>Watch yourself, or you will end up in people's .sig files along with
>Bill Gates' prediction about nobody needing more than 640k... ;^)

:-)

>>and if they do get 2 gigs of ram. virtual memory is
>>hard to write and slows even the fastes computer reading and writing
>>from the HD.

This was once my arguement, too.
Fact is, everything ends up being one giant ball.
Memory protection, memory mapping, VM, mapping files to disk, etc.
It all ends up being implemented in the same way/place, etc.

>Virtual memory doesn't slow anything down unless it is actually used,
>and it doesn't get used unless/until all your RAM has been allocated.
>So on a 1-2 gig machine, it's very likely (for now ;^)) that the VM
>system will never access your hard drive at all.

One would hope. I don't think that every VM is that well done.

>>Is it really worth the effort?
>
>Yup.  Not everyone has a gig of RAM lying around.  And even if they
>did, there will be a time when everyone has 10GB of RAM and 5TB of
>hard disk, and programs that occasionally need to allocate 50GB at
>once, and VM will be the solution then, same as it is now.

Just as a side note - no app can allocate 50 gig of ram on a x86, as of today.
Pointers are *only* 32 bit. ;-) Well, OK, they could theoretically allocate it.
But
they can't keep pointers to it all. :-)