[openbeos] Re: noob questions

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:44:46 +0200 CEST

Martin Olsson <mnemo@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Haiku ppl,

Tjabba!

> I noticed that the Haiku site does not have any screenshots. Does
> that
> mean you don't have any GUI yet? Where can I find some screenshots if
> such exist?

It's more a matter of Haiku R1 being a copy of BeOS R5, and as such
it's easier to just google for BeOS screenies. :)
If you do want shots specifically done from within Haiku, they're at
the following URL:

        http://www.bug-nordic.org/gallery.php?gal=haiku

> I looked for bootable .iso download but found none. Is that too early
> for Haiku-OS too? I also tried the build factory, but that link has
> been
> broken for several days (atleast). So is it possible for me to
> download
> and boot Haiku-OS somehow?

Again, if you want to have a feel for Haiku as an end-user, get BeOS R5
off http://www.bebits.com and try that out.  Even as a developer,
actually, you might want to download R5 and the developer tools as
that's the development environment for Haiku.

Or, if you want to see what happened to BeOS after R5, get ZETA from
http://www.yellowtab.com (has trouble building Haiku at the moment
though, I believe).

> What kind of machines are used today for development? Are you using
> commercial BeOS or Linux or Windows or is Haiku stable enough for
> dev?

Anything that runs BeOS, so while you theoretically could use a P100/
32M and build various sub-parts of Haiku, most people will feel more
comfortable with at least a Pentium 3-500 MHz and somewhere around 256M
RAM.  I myself have a Celeron-2.66 GHz w/ 512M RAM.

So there's really no magic involved, just have to make sure BeOS boots
on your hardware, and you'll be fine.

Välkommen!
-- Mikael