[openbeos] Re: noob question

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:09:27 +0200

On 7/28/05, John Kintzele <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hello all.  i've been folllowing the spirited conversation of the last few
> days with a smile on my face.
>
> i'm interested in haiku purely from a user perspective.
>
> a few years ago i gave BeOS 5 PE a try, and was generally happy, but now
> find myself unable to load it on my current machine due to lack of USB
> mouse/keyboard support.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction for drivers that might help me
> bridge the "USB input devices gap"?  I'd like to get BeOS5 up and running
> and begin to build familiarity while I wait for haiku.  Again, pointing me
> elsewhere is fine.  Thanks,

Generally, you should check whether you have OHCI or UHCI. The latter
one _should_ work, the first one most certainly will not.

Working from there, if you have an OHCI controller, you might want to
search Beshare for the (illegal) drivers distributed with DANO. I
_believe_ they are available, however, I haven't used them yet, so I
can't give a definate answer on how they work.

However, if your main wish is to connect a mouse and a keyboard to the
USB controller, you might be best of by simply enabling PS II
emulation and removing your usb module from your add-ons folder. For
this to work, you need your mouse and keyboard directly connected to
your computer (make sure the computer doesn't have an internal hub - I
haven't encountered one yet, but just to be sure), and it's advisable
to check wheter USB Legacy Support (or USB keyboard emulation, or
whatever name) is turned on. As far as I know, any device that follows
the USB HID standard will work with this emulation.

As for how Haiku will change this: I don't yet know. I'm stuck with
the UHCI driver, desperately trying a lot of things, but I don't know
when I'll be able to produce a driver that works.

Trying these tips will probably help you though.

Niels