[openbeos] Re: localization?

  • From: DarkWyrm <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:15:05 -0500

>Hello,
>has there been any thought of global localization?
>where does this code belong to? app_server??
Yep - see below.

<snip>

>(there should also be an api for prefs, where to put them, handling all of
>them from one
>place (one app), and so on.. so we don't have the mess we have now. but that
>is an
>entirely new discussion.)
This has been discussed already, and the decision from MPhipps is that we use
BMessages.

>I'm thinking app_server is responsible for "auto replacing" this, as that is
>the component
>that is responsible for app management and drawing.
Sorry, but it isn't. Applications are responsible for text - the app_server
just acts as a mediator between them and the hardware.

>maybe there should be some obvious strings so they won't be read twice
>that should be in some shared place.
>things like exit, close, file, edit, copy, etc..

<snip>
>many questions, very unclear, but localization could be done beautifuly with
>an elegant
>design.
>if anyone knows any answer to any of these questions it would be interesting
>to hear from
>you.
>

>thanks, Kobi.
We also discussed this a while ago and it was determined that localization
needs to (1) be well thought-out because localization isn't just translating
text strings and (2) it was something that needed to wait until R2, so you
should try the Glass Elevator list. I'm not sure if they've talked about this
yet. Hope this helps. :)

--DarkWyrm