[openbeos] Re: liblayout

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:33:05 CST

>Word on the street is that Erik Jakowatz said:
>> People are already free to use liblayout, so there's really no need
for
>> us to throw it in.  Furthermore, the source (to my knowledge) is not
>> available, which sort of defeats the purpose.  There will not be
>> font-sensitive layout in R1.  It would require some kind of
catastrophe
>> for it to not be in R2, but it will definitely not be in R1.
>
>However if liblayout were included in R1 it would clearly be a
>"suggested best practise" and all cloned apps would be encouraged to
use
>it resulting in less work to do later... this should be added to
>"Developer Guidlines" on the website as well.
>
>Someone (a team lead) needs to contact Marco and find out if it can be
>includedin OBOS in source form.  If not, it sounds like it can be
>included in binary form with no problems.
>
>Skye

Erik is the lead for the Interface Kit team. This is his call. He says
in as plain English as you can use "There will not be font-sensitive
layout in R1".

This is the very reason we have team leads. Someone has to make the
final decision. And for every decision made, there will likely be some
who feel we should have gone the other way. That's life. Erik has
carefully thought this over and made his decision. Please respect it,
regardless of whether you agree with it or not.

May we drop this topic now?