[openbeos] Re: kdl at boot - 128GB Disk Size and Partition Limit

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:43:29 -0500 EST

François Revol wrote on Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:18:45 +0100 CET:
> > On 2007-02-16 at 18:21:36 [+0100], Shaka <shaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > is there a HD capacity limit for Haiku? meaning, can I install on a
> > > partitioned 160 gig drive?
> >
> Ingo Weinhold wrote on Fri, 16 Feb 2007 19:08:31 +0100:
> > I recall that BeOS had problems with 128+ GB disks, but I don't know
> > whether our code still has this limit. I'm sure, more knowledgable
> > people here can answer this one.
>
> I recall fixing some BIOS related stuff in IDE replacement in zeta, not
> sure if it's applicable to Haiku. I still need to review my fixes to
> make sure they're in.

Ah good, I just ran into that with my new 320GB hard drive and BeOS R5.  It
would be nice to have an updated IDE driver.  The R5 IDE driver (and the
IDE replacement driver) can only can access the first 128GB.  Additionally,
just having a partition (created under Linux) over 128GB makes the BeOS
partition loader give up on the whole drive, even if it isn't asked to
mount the partion past the end of the world.

I ended up putting my BeOS volumes in the first 128GB and set up the rest
for Linux.  To get around the BeOS partition loader squirmyness, I wrote
some code (PartitionManualOverride) to set up the partition devices manually
and call it from the bootscript (the BeOS boot volume is on a different,
smaller drive).

- Alex