[openbeos] Re: installing haiku from linux

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:04:26 +0100 CET

"Bolesaw Kulbabiski" <bolekk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please clarify one thing, when I install haiku on a partition from linux
> using
>
> HAIKU_INSTALL_DIR=dir jam install-haiku
>
> this 'dir' points to a device (/dev/sda3) or to a mount point (e.g.
> /mnt/haiku) ?
> Should I previously format this partition to BeFS ? (and mount it ?)

The "install" stuff only works from BeOS. Since Linux does not support writing
to BFS volumes, you need to configure your build a bit differently, for example
like this:

HAIKU_IMAGE_NAME        = sda3 ;
HAIKU_IMAGE_DIR         = /dev ;

HAIKU_DONT_CLEAR_IMAGE = 1 ;

The latter make the whole thing not too slow, but all contents of the volume
are
lost with every build.
You can still update selected parts of the existing image (or partition) by
using
ie. "jam update-image libbe.so" to update libbe.so only, and leave the rest
untouched.

Bye,
   Axel.