[openbeos] Re: building obos

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:07:33 +0100

On 2005-02-26 at 01:32:13 [+0100], Daniel Furrer wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold wrote:
>
> >Jam should complain about a missing configure right at the beginning and
> >not build anything at all.
> >
> >Anyway, the boot floppy method is a bit outdated, and I'm not sure, if it
> >is supposed to still work. Any reason for using it? If not I would
> >recommend building a HD image or directly installing it on an empty
> >partition (use makehdimage -- have a look at the comments at the beginning
> >of the file).
> >

> Yep, I did run ./configure so that shouldn't be the problem.
>  From what I read in the makehdimage comments there is no easy way to
> build such
> an image from Linux.

That's correct. Though the problem with the floppy image is, that it can
only contain a minimal part of Haiku. I'm not even sure, if all that is copy
onto the floppy still fits. We probably should look into making a HD image
buildable under Linux too, but there are a couple of issues that make this
task non-trivial.

> I'll try what zeta gives me when I run makehdimage
> soon, but
> that probably won't help either since from how I understand
>
> "...skipped kernel.x86 for lack of config.x86.ini..."
>
> it doesn't even build the kernel.

The config.<arch>.ini file is in fact not used when building a HD image.

> What is responsible for creating the
> config.x86.ini?

The invocation of the WriteKernelConfig rule in the src/kernel/Jamfile.
If your jam is missing `config.x86.ini', then it probably failed to build
earlier or was skipped due to a dependency that was missing or failed to
build.

I just ran a `jam -q config.x86.ini' here (BeOS R5) and it worked fine. That
doesn't mean much for Linux (and gcc 3.x), though.

BTW, I recommend to supply jam with the `-q' flag, so that it aborts the
build process as soon as an error occurs.

CU, Ingo