[openbeos] Re: bounties (was Re: info please)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:35:49 +0200 CEST

"Zenja Solaja" <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On another note, Karl has clearly shown that people are more willing
> donate money if they know where the money will be spent (ie. defined
> goals
> and targets), rather than a 'donation' system where no one knows
> where the
> money will go.  To use myself as a clear example, I donated $100 for
> a USB
> stack (which I hope Michael and Neils will soon split).  With a
> defined
> goal, it was easier for me to pony up, since in an obscure way, I
> realise
> that I'm indirectly helping a project.  Marcus, for 2 of your drivers
> I also
> donated some money (insignificant amount, but symoblic).  On the
> other hand,
> I would have hated to see the money go to 'marketing'.  That is just
> my
> personal philosophy.

I'm all for bounties as well, and having bounties like "implement a
networking stack" might be nice to acquire donations. But it was also
very optimistic to assuming to find someone to do such a major piece of
work; we obviously can't raise that much money to attract someone
outside the Haiku community to do it.
I think bounties for smaller tasks (like writing or extending a
specific driver, fixing a particular bug, ...) will be much more
helpful in getting the actual work done. And that's what bounties are
about: not to raise money (as happened), but to get the work done
(which did not happen). The money is only means to an end (as it always
should be).
Having said that, it's very generous of the donators that they
redirected their donations to Haiku instead, and it's also great from
Karl having pulled this off.

Bye,
   Axel.