[openbeos] Re: bounties for the new website...wifi

  • From: "André Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 01:03:42 -0300

On 8/29/06, Curtis Wanner <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

They have also been very uncooperative with releasing specs to open source
projects.  A driver will require information from reverse engineering and
would be suspect at best.

Being that the norm and not the exception, I'm afraid that for the time being (that means: until R3+) some sort of NDIS wrapper would be much more beneficial to Haiku than spending developer resources on reverse-engineering or clean-room rewriting drivers based on documentation derived from GPL'd source or whatnot.

FWIW, that's just what yT did. And in my opinion writing an one-shot
wrapper which would enable one to tap into the ENORMOUS driver library
available for Windows was a brilliant decision. Native drivers may
then come as resources allow.

Cheers,
A.