[openbeos] Writing Drivers

  • From: Clay Vincent Schentrup <cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 18:06:49 -0500

     Now that Mr. Reid is off in the bliss of MacOSX or Linux or...well
whatever bigger and better thing he's off to, Phillipe has stated that he will
be taking some time to analyze and document the most-BSD code base that David
had been working on.  Until such time as this has transpired, I've decided I'd
like to invest some time working on a driver for my SMC 1244TX network card.
It was 10$ at CompUSA, and I believe quite a lot of people probably have them,
so it would be a good one to work on.  Plus, SMC's site has the source code to
their drivers for most systems, such as FreeBSD..very helpful, although the
specs would be nice too.
     Anyway, in order to test the ability to communicate with the card, and try
to send and receive data at various registers, it would be nice to..ya know..be
able to boot up with it in my computer.  Only there's this problem that when I
boot up with it in my machine, alongside my DEC/tulip, I freeze on boot.  I'm
assuming this is happening because a driver is publishing in such a way that it
appears my card is compatible with it.  If I boot up with the SMC card in my
machine alone, it won't freeze.  Is there a way that I can boot with just the
SMC card in, and see what driver is "trying" to work, so that I can...delete/
disable it?  Any way around this problem would be nice.

Cheers,
Clay