[openbeos] Why are we here?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 20:00:58 -0400

>The following i mean in the kindest possible way, so please nobody take
>offense of this, but the following came to my mind (bu then my mind is
>seldom correct so ...)

Good questions, I thought.

>I think the problem is not with the project, neither with the spam that
>comes on it, but rather the strangeness of the existance of this mailing
>list. This is supposed to be the OpenBeOS users mailing list. But what part
>of the using of OpenBeOS is then supposed to be discussed.

This was originally designed to be a list about whether or not and how to make
an OpenBeOS.
It has sort of morphed. It is almost easier to talk about what it isn't for
than what it is for, but...

This is a general mailing list about OpenBeos. Development, "marketing",
distribution, apps, etc.
It isn't a future features list - that is Glass Elevator's job.
It isn't a "should we do this" (anymore) or "why don't you use $kernel or
$gfx_package".

I/we try to be pretty fluid about what is on here - we really need to keep the
signal-noise ratio
high. That is really the key. Remember that you are sending out to more than
600 users.

>And nobody is disputing this. There are a great number of very educated
>people working on it that seem to know exactly what they are doing and they
>are doing the whole project very professionaly. I think that in terms of
>"way of working" (software development process) this project is far better
>then 90% of all other projects out there. This realy surprised me and can
>make a real difference.

Thanks!

>> Imagine: a free, open-source desktop operating system that simply
>*works*...
>>

>FreeDOS/Seal? or,...
>FreeDOS/FreeGEM
>
>come to mind (but then i am very biased).

I haven't seen these. :-) Still, I would have a tough time believing that one
can build a reasonable, modern OS on top of DOS or a DOS clone.