[haiku] Re: Wallpaper design contest

  • From: Patrik Gissberg <patrik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:14:39 +0200

Axel Dörfler:
> Well, while that works for most wallpapers, there are some where that
> won't look as good as a specifically made version.

It's all about tradeoffs. Offering two or more wallpapers for
different aspect ratios may look better, but doubles the size and
decreases user-friendliness. Offering one wallpaper won't look perfect
(but good), but decreases size and increases user-friendliness.
User-friendliness is what I value the most.

That's why I stated that the wallpaper must look good cropped (I wrote
clipped, but I guess cropped is the right word), and clarified it with
this illustration:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5976153/display_proportions.png. I plan on
using that illustration, but a more polished one, when announcing the
contest so that the contestant can test their wallpaper so it looks
good on 4:3 to 16:9, and any in between.

Again, the idea is to only include ONE wallpaper instead of one for
4:3 and one for 16:9 to save size, and making it easier for the user
to select a wallpaper (some users might not know the difference
between my_wallpaper_4-3.png and my_wallpaper_16-9.png and therefor
select the wrong one, which probably won't look good).

I strongly believe that this is the best solution, and somewhat
unique; Select a wallpaper and it will look good (maybe not perfect)
regardless of your resolution or monitor aspect ratio.

Patrik