[haiku] Re: Vector graphics program

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:40:37 +0100

Hi Daniel,

Am 26.03.2014 03:18, schrieb Daniel Stritt:
Hello, after perusing haikuware, bebits, and osdrawer seems to be down, but I
can't find what I am looking for. Does anyone know of a vector based graphics
app for Haiku? Similar to the icon tool, but for full sized images.

I don't know which version of Haiku you are using. If it's the latest alpha version, there is WonderBrush already pre-installed. It is actually a vector graphics program, although you work in a fixed resolution (which you can change at anytime). If you are using the latest nightlies, WonderBrush is available as a package in HaikuDepot.

WonderBrush comes with documentation in English and German, a few tutorials, and there are actually tutorial videos out there which you can google for. It has a bit of an initial learning curve, but people have produced nice graphics with it once they got the hang of it. A lot of the graphics artwork used throughout Haiku and the website has been produced with WonderBrush.

That being said, I am the author of WonderBrush, so take my recommendation as potentially very biased. :-)

WonderBrush is free to use with Haiku, very stable and works almost perfect in Haiku (one layout bug in the UI when multiple files are open). I think the only alternative vector drawing programs would be e-Picture and Moho. Both are powerful and stable enough to get some work done. But only demo-versions are available which place watermarks in the output. At least Moho does, don't know about ePicture. Also, I don't know how well they actually run on Haiku. A few weeks ago I worked on the PackageInstaller application and tested with Moho among other packages, and the app seemed to work fine (unlike for example Gobe Productive, which does have a (vector) graphics module, but is not usable on Haiku). Moho is focused on animation and does not offer some effects you would expect for working more generally with graphics.

Best regards,
-Stephan