[openbeos] Re: The Haiku Book

  • From: Miguel Zúñiga <mzuniga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:54:01 -0500

I agree that Doxygen is intended more for C++, while docbook is for general purposes. Docbook's semantics are a little too hard at the beginning, and you do need many elements for "daily use". As nobody, i assume, has done real content from scratch for the Haiku Book (there have been discussions about naming it "the Haiku Book", how the structure should be handled, where and who should do it, how long should be wait, who would have access to the repository when it is made, but there is no real article, chapter or section), you can propose Doxygen.

Back when the first discussion was made, DocBook was "the" documentation way to go. Now there are several alternatives. I even remember that, at least for the development, the wiki was proposed to be used. It has been used for end-user documentation on the official Haiku wiki, and it has some progress. But the Haiku Book, as wisely Axel Dörfler once said, is not for anyone for contribute. (I have been learning C++ in order to help and know what am i talking about... not only documentation usability was needed)

If you are writing new documentation for Haiku, i will be more than glad to follow whatever decision made. If you were planning to format the BeBook or any modification to it, let me remember the copyright around it. Michael Phipps warned this to the original documentation team. As result, that team went to stand-by and wait for the project would be more real, so we could point the differences and similitudes between the Be API and the Haiku one.

Also, the Haiku Book has to comply to more specifications than the original BeBook: it has to tell more than just the description of the API.

If there is already something for the new Haiku Book, please let me contact you, so i can enroll for this task. Thank you.

Miguel Zúñiga