[openbeos] Re: StatCacheServer to speed up Jam

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:08:47 -0800 (PST)

Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:

> With StatCacheServer, a "jam" invokation in the StyledEdit directory
> takes 12 seconds (when it's already built and on the 2nd run of jam).
> Without StatCacheServer, it takes 30 seconds.

I noticed the same speed-up when building. You know, it is these sort
of tips which might be useful to make more well known. I had no idea
this StatCacheServer existed until I saw it in the archive Alex sent me
for Jam.

I feel like as I get deeper in development for Haiku I keep hitting
brick walls that inevitably other people have hit. But to solve the
problem I have to email this list or spend an hour doing research when
it could have been in an obvious "Developer's FAQ" on the web-site.
This does not exist as far as I know, but it could be very useful,
especially as the project matures and we (hopefully) get more
developers.

Since I'm more a man of action rather than someone who whines I'll look
into creating this FAQ, with whatever help I need from the other more
experienced developers.

Regards,
Ryan