[openbeos] SkyOS and OpenBeOS working together for better OpenBFS

  • From: "theUser BL" <theuserbl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:10:36 +0000

Good news!

SkyOS want to use the OpenBeOS FileSystem and wants to help to improve it.
As you can read here:
SkyOS want to use the OpenBFS.

And in the forum
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=5777&limit=no
there existing a lot of more information by SkyOS and OpenBeOS-developer.

Here some comments in the forum:

Hexydes by SkyOS
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=5777&limit=no#191527
"We do intend to make any changes (or at least most changes) to our "SkyFS" available. We are very grateful to the OpenBeOS team for such a great file system, and we fully intend to help them out as best as we can by providing any useful changes to them."

Bruno G. Albuquerque by OpenBeOS
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=5777&limit=no#191530
"So, here we go.
1 - OpenBFS is a "secure" as any other filesystem that does not implement cryptography at the FS layer. It does implement POSIX permisison bits and you can "easily" (for some definition of easily, anyway) implement ACLs by using extended attributes. The biggest problem that need to be solved is how to handle indexes on multi-user environments. Even that is not a big deal.
2 - It is a matter of taste considering the database-like features in WinFS/ReiserFS and the database-like features in OpenBFS. I still consider BFS/OpenBFS a lot more suited for end users than any other FS (as far as users are concerned with FSs).
3 - The SkyOS guys are really a nice bunch and they did offer to give us changes they do to SkyFS. In fact, they even offered to revert the name back to OpenBFS if we (the OpenBFS team) wanted it.
-Bruno"

Hexydes by SkyOS
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=5777&limit=no#191536
"And once again, a big thanks from the SkyOS team to the OpenBeOS team. We look forward to working with you in the future. =)"

Greatings
theuserbl

Wußten Sie, daß Sie Ihren Hotmail-Posteingang auch über den MSN Messenger abrufen können? http://messenger.msn.de Jetzt kostenlos downloaden und einfach testen!