[openbeos] Re: ShowImage GAH!

  • From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 07:25:10 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Nik Derewianka wrote:

> hmmm - so you often had people from siemens in your office, at your
> computer, looking at images of your phone and you kept "top secret
> classified pictures" in the same directory with the same permissions and
> security settings as the public images ???

Permissions and security settings?  Are you forgetting that BeOS is a
single user operating system, and that file permissions are not strictly
enforced?

> >Pictures can range from trade secrets to Dilberts. Would you show every
> >picture
> >on your hard drive to your boss? To your Mum?
> >

> Showimage isnt doing that - its doing it by directory - unless your
> trying to tell us your keep your XXX porn in the same directory as the
> pics of the family vacation ???  and you are then inviting your mum to
> come and have a look at it ??

We're talking about BFS here, right?  Some of us actually use the
wonderful indexing and attributes that make BFS so unique.

I take lots and lots of pictures.  I don't dump them to my computer into
directories based on their subject.  I dump them into directories based on
the date I took them, and then add the appropriate attributes.  I can then
pull up all images for "Will" (my dog) or "Idiots" (the golfers who hit
balls into my back yard and then come wandering through to pick them up).

If I click on an image of Will (after having done a query), and then run
through a slideshow, I'm not expecting to get an image of a golfer (or
even worse).

On a filesystem as advanced as BFS, it doesn't make any sense for an
application to choose some arbitrary factor, like directory structure, to
show a slideshow of images.

<snip>

>  Likewise - slideshow functionality that allows quick seamless
> showing of images in a program called ShowImage that was designed for
> showing images - would be a superb feature for that program.

If it did it correctly and intuitively, yes.  If it's just cycling through
images in a directory, then no, it would not be a superb feature.

Adam