[openbeos] Right-to-left writing

  • From: "Niklas Nisbeth" <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:11:31 +0000

Hey all.

I study the Arabic & Persian languages at University, and I'd naturally
like to be able to write these languages in their native script on
Haiku. I've poked about, but it doesn't seem like Be has any native
support or an add-on to allow the input of right-to-left text
(TextView.h makes no mention of writing direction at all, and I can't
find an input_server addon, except for a Hebrew one that seems to do
bugger all).

The Arial font in my R5 default install has the characters for both
Arabic and Farsi, and I can even enter them using the Arabic keymap
from BeBits, but I can't make them go from right to left and join up
properly (Arabic is a cursive script, so most of the characters in a
word are joined).

This is quite important to me and I just wanted to know if it's
important to anyone else, really... and if there's any plan to include
this natively in Haiku R1, or if someone more knowledgable of Be API
programming than I would be interested in pointing me to where/how this
could be added.

Niklas.