[openbeos] Re: Question about net stack in Haiku

  • From: kamikazow@xxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:01:03 +0200

Urias McCullough wrote:
> On 7/25/07, kamikazow@xxxxxx <kamikazow@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Did Haiku/OpenBeOS get its net stack in 2002 or in 2006?
>> The fact that all links in both articles do not work any more didn't
>> help me a lot getting an answer by myself. ;)
>
> Haiku's netstack has been through approximately 3 revisions now IIRC -
> the current version is mostly a rewrite from scratch, where the prior
> version was a messy port from some BSD implementation.

I found something.
As I see it, the net stack timeline is like this:

2002 a net_server replacement by David Reid.
<http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/16/234250>
<//www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/04-2002/msg00475.html>

2004/2005 Marrow -- A BONE-like implementation by porting a BSD net
stack to Haiku also by David
<http://www.david-reid.com/projects/marrow/index.html>

And now (2006/2007) a new net stack written from scratch by Axel.

Is this correct or did I miss a revision?