[openbeos] Printing stuff (was Re: BeOS Online Image how to burn...)

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:55:50 +0100 (MET)

I also succesfully got printing to work with BeOS R5 on AppleTalk at school,
whereas windows didn't want to print because it didn't let me logon to the SMB
network... ;)
(though it produced an Postscript error report each time...)

I am happy I got my printer working yesterday also...
I got an old Lexmark 4039 10+, which I couldn't get working with the PS
driver... in fact I just had to add PPD files for Lexmark :-)

This is what I did :
downloaded MPADO_AE.EXE from
http://drivers.lexmark.com/drivers.nsf/printer+driver/94D6D70D3F5D14F2852560F40045B48C?OpenDocument
(it's an zip file)
mkdir /etc/ppd/Lexmark
cd /etc/ppd/Lexmark
unzip ~/MPADO_AE.EXE
rm OEMSETUP.INF README.1ST
# remove the ^M at end of lines, remove ^Z at end of file.
# also fix something that the parser doesn't like
#                          2nd char is ^Z
for fic in * ; do tr -d '\r' <$fic | sed 's/ *% Present for Downward
Compatibility//' >$(echo $fic|tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]' ); rm $fic; done

Something that I would change in an European distribution are the defaults to
A4 and cm as units :-)

We can get many PPD files from Adobe:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=44&platform=Windows
(the ones that are already in /etc/ppd, maybe some are newer)

About VMWare... Yes the last version is known to work with BeOS, but someone
needs to write a video driver.