[openbeos] Re: PPC stuff

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:08:36 EDT (-0400)

>  >I suspect that the PPC folks (Hi, Tony!) have a lot more reading
> > and
> learning and >thinking to do than coding.
> Hi Michael, I can't tell you how many nights my eyes glazed over when
> going through NewOS, BootX by Ben H., and BootX by Apple code ;-)
>
> Having finally read all of the PPC related emails I have two
> questions:
> a) How long have we had an "official" PPC maintainer? Not that I'm
> complaining, its just that I didn't know about it.

I think that it may be me, but I don't know.

> b) Why aren't the PPC folks using the same tool chain as the x86
> folks?
> I remember, a few months ago on this list, that it was believed that
> switching over to GCC ELF would be best done now even though we'd be
> completely leaving behind the past.

We are. The kernel is GCC, as will everything else. The issue is
building the individual kits for the currently existing BeOS PPC, just
like they are doing on x86.

> Rather than bicker over compilers, executables, and coding styles
> here's
> something else to think about. How are we going to boot into OBOSPPC?
> If we target the "oldworld" macs that BeOS PPC ran on then you have
> start to boot into MacOS, run an extention that allows you to pick a
> different OS then stop MacOS and switch to the other OS. Everyone
> remember BeOS Launcher? This is possible since this is what BeOS and
> LinuxPPC do. BootX by Ben H. is GPL'd and available but, Ben stopped
> building it at CodeWarrior 4. Anyone got some CodeWarrior 4 coasters
> they'd like to use again?
>
> Now, if you target "newworld" macs you can use BootX from Apple,
> which
> has code in it to load ELF executables. Of course you'll have to
> write
> the stage 2 loader (I think its the stage 2 loader) which is what the
> *BSD folks do so that the machine never boots into any MacOS
> derivative.
> This also means that everyone who has kept their ol BeOSPPC boxes
> would
> have to buy a new mac.

We are booting out of OF (and can use BootX here). NewOS's stage 2
bootloader is complete, and in CVS.

> Having said all that I'll ad this as well. I have a 12 GB LinuxPPC
> installation setup just for trying to build NewOS. I'm willing to
> help
> if some of the problems I've mentioned above have been dealt with.

Nice!
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

"I don't object to sex before marriage, but two minutes before?!?"