[openbeos] Re: PPC Cross-compiling

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:23:05 +0100 (MET)

En réponse à James Wall <jkwall@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Are compilers tied to an OS?
Yes, and No
Yes, because they have default settings (which usualy can be overriden) such as
to which library to link to (libc, libgcc, ...)
No, because it's still x86 opcodes anyway

> For example if the Borland Kylix command line compiler will run on OBOS is
> there a reason it couldn't be used to develop applications for OBOS? I have
> verified that the Kylix compiler will output ELF formatted binaries.
Of course, it needs to output valid Linux executables :)
the problem is it links with Linux libraries by default

> I do understand the IDE and the "include" files would not work and would need
> to be re-implemented. I just want to know if this is a worthwhile
> project.

I don't think Borland would care supporting us...
But I wonder if it would worth it to tweak a compiler to do this...
better code a native Pascal environment, or port FreePascal :)