[openbeos] Re: OT Re: drive letter vs. mounten

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:15:40 +0200 CEST

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:05:42 +0200 Charlie Clark <
charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2003-07-04 at 23:45:52 [+0200], you wrote:
> > Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to add some means to let the user
> > have a
> > say, how the system shall deal with those situations, later, if it
> > turns
> > out to be necessary/useful. Not till R1, though. :-P
>
> Didn't someone, somewhere recently complain about "intelligent"
> software? I
> hope the analogy isn't too way off if I compare file systems on media
> code pages in e-mails. One of the great things about Beam is the
> ability to
> "try another code page" for incorrectly encoded e-mails, ie. admit
> that you
> can't always get it right. The question which I pose here incorrectly
> as it
> is a Tracker issue: will it be possible to "Try and mount as".

It currently is and will be possible with OBOS to try mounting a
partition with any file system in Terminal. I believe, it would be a
virtually unused feature in Tracker and hence I wouldn't add it. But if
it turns out to be needed, I'm sure Axel will implement it. :-P

CU, Ingo