[openbeos] [OT] OpenOffice, Java and GlassElevator

  • From: J�rgen Starek <jslistmail@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:46:08 +0200

Hello,

sorry for posting this here on the list, but the "mailing list" link on the
Glass Elevator website is broken and thus I don't know how to join the
list. Someone who has access to it: please forward this there, thanks.

Today, heise online wrote in a news feature that Sun and Apple are going to
co-develop a Java version of OpenOffice, scheduled for the end of the year
(http://heise.de/newsticker/data/se-28.07.02-002/ and
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-946714.html).

Given the often-repeated argument that BeOS needed an office suite for
becoming really wide-spread, that might be an argument to dedicate time and
"manpower" to the development of an up-to-date Java compiler and VM for the
BeOS. It would have to replace the Jikes/BeKaffe combination that AFAIR
only supports Java 1.1 properly. This might be more efficient than
developing a BeOS native office suite because there are quite some useful
Java applications out there that would run, too.

But because of the great amount of work, it would need an entire
development / documentation team that wouldn't be able to work on the
actual OS. I don't think BeKaffe developers could do all of this job - the
project seems dead and there were not too many people on it anyway. This
would hava to be organized similarly to the work on the various kits is
now.

  Jürgen