[openbeos] [New user] Hello from France !

  • From: "Nicolas Ramz" <nicolas.ramz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:54:13 +0100

                            Hello,

As I'm new to this list, I'd like to introduce myself...

I've been working on the Amiga scene for quite a long time. Then came MorphOS
and I jumped
into the ship... Now I've lot of lot of interest in it: I don't know where the
development is going,
if it is still going on,... The lack of memory protection doesn't seem to be a
problem for
main developers. For me, working on a desktop operating system that does not
offer
memory protection is insane...

I know C/C++, I have been working on various little projects on Amiga/MorphOS.
Today, I am working as a web developer (PHP/HTML/CSS) but I'm not against doing
some work
on these languages again.
I also have some graphics and Flash/AS knowledge, but I don't think that's
relevant here :)

What I hate the most in the Amiga/MorphOS ?
 - GUI not-coherent (Windows decoration and GUI objects do not share a common
theme...).
 - Lack of memory protection, swap, resource tracking,...

In these areas, BeOS/Haiku seems to have something really coherent and a lot
more "modern"...

I did not jump into the Unix/Linux community, because there are a lot of aspects
I dislike, like the heavy/complex XWindows+Desktop combination, packages
galore,...
System not aimed at any market,...

Again, Haiku seems to be aiming at a precise market (desktop), with precise
goals,
and toward a *unique* OS with its applications & libs (not a dozen of different
kits, libs,..)

And I liked that a lot...

So: where should I start ? :)

Regards,
Leo.
--
               -===> WARP-Design <===-
Création de Sites Web et Logiciels pour tous.