[openbeos] Re: Kernel status (POSIX)

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:02:21 -0600 (CST)

> >No, no, no, you misunderstood completely. I, of course, want
> >filesystems as addons, but I also want the code that loads the
> >filesystem addons to be an addon.  Nor can you add anything to the
> >kernel; your efforts in this regard are severely circumscribed. For
> >instance, you can't write an addon that intercepts syscalls, which
> >would, of course, be required for a posix addon.
>
> What would making an add-on to load add-ons give you=3F

A very flexible file system layer, since it would abstract files from
the actual kernel. For instance, a devfs addon would allow you to
implement mulitple driver APIs, *without* changing the kernel. You
could do the same with an fs layer. What's the point of addons, anyway=3F
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

The Kennedy Constant: