[openbeos] Re: HaikuPedia / One hour challenge

  • From: Ian K <ian.kirker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:05:30 +0100

On 4/20/05, Ivan Vodopiviz <merkoth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looks like an interesting idea. anyway, I'm sure that a Style
> Guideline will be needed, to save the Creative Design team of going
> insane in two weeks ;-)
> I think that this can be done more easyly by using a WikiWikiWeb
> system. yeah, I know, they're slow and consume quite a bit of
> bandwidth, but they're the best option when doing documentation.

I have to say, the MediaWiki system used by Wikipedia et al. is the
most user friendly Wiki I've used. A lot of Wikis look very bleak,
blocky and unhelpful, including the WikiWikiWeb, that I've seen.

Admittedly, it may be a little more bandwidth intensive than
WikiWikiWeb, and uses PHP rather than Perl, but it has a lot of
features that aid in indexing and searching that I believe make it
more suitable for a documentation project.

Making the documentation a live Wiki does unfortunately mean that you
need to have a local webserver + scripting of choice running by
default if you want to distribute it with the CD.

'Course, if I've missed the point, feel free to disregard. :)

-Ian
*offering bananas to the Perl monkeys*