[openbeos] Re: Haiku vs Haiku-OS [was: Re: Ruby+GTK2 for Haiku?]

  • From: Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:06:37 +0100

2007/2/16, Jackson, Anthony <ajackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> [...]

Oi, I'm proud of my geekyness! :) But I'll refrain from appending "OS"
in the future on the grounds that no-one says "Windows-OS" despite it
being named after a popular mechanism for keeping weather out of houses.

> What the owner of Haiku.org is doing is perfectly legal and
> he has a right to do it, I don't really agree with it, but
> thats another issues.  Would it not be easier contacting the
> owner and explaining the situation and asking if we could buy
> it for a nominal fee, and/or putting one of those "dead-bolt"
> things on so as soon as the domain expires we grab it?

Even if they fail to renew, the domain goes on hold for a while, so
snatching it away is quite unlikely.

A game I do development on has a .com squatted on by an advertiser (it's
a semi-unusual name, so I don't think anyone else would want it).  I
once approached the owner without indicating that I was in any way
related to the game of the same name, and casually mentioned that I
liked it and noticed it was up for sale.  He wanted $4500 for it.  Given
that Haiku is orders of magnitude more popular than this game, I expect
the owner would want orders of magnitude more.

Besides, I don't think there is anything wrong with haiku-os.org, it
describes what it is. :)

Tony

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television.
If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
message and attachments.

www.tandbergtv.com

I agree there is nothing wrong with haiku-os, still nothing will be lost
trying to take over haiku.org for a reasonable price. If owner doesn't want
to cooperate, maybe in future haiku renames itself(?? just poking here) or a
status-quo remains and the current owner only keeps putting money in the
domainname registration. So Be it.
--
Cheers,

Arnold