[openbeos] Re: Haiku native compiler?

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 16:44:14 -0400

On 4/5/07, Ar18@xxxxxxxxxxx <Ar18@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As I understand it, Haiku currently relies on the GCC GPL compiler.

What would be the response to having a team work on a new Haiku free source
compiler?

A compiler is a huge project almost akin to an operating system in
some respects. Most people interested in Haiku are too busy working on
the Haiku OS itself to worry about creating a compiler.

I was thinking that, maybe, they could even do a re-evaluation of the Haiku
binary files
and see if some changes need to be made for R2 and beyond to make it more
"revolutionary." :)  (Like a way for the binaries to work on all
platforms/hardware, or a
system for obfuscating the code so badly, that you compile this code for newer
or
different platforms/hardware as needed).

Plenty of work has been done in the area of "write once, run
anywhere", like the Java language, or even scripting languages like
Ruby, Perl or Python. BeOS already supports Ruby, Perl and Python, and
porting those to Haiku should be trivial. Java support will eventually
make it into Haiku too. There really is no compelling reason that I
can think of to create a new Haiku-specific compiler, language or
application format.

I'm not suggesting that people already working on Haiku do this; but, would you
allow a
new team be formed to do something like this?

People can do whatever they want when it comes to creating
applications to work within Haiku. I don't think anyone would object
to a team investigating some compiler ideas, but there is no guarantee
that any work resulting from that will be used by Haiku.

Ryan