[openbeos] Greetings

  • From: Mathew Hounsell <mat.geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:23:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello.
     It is good to see the transition of BeOS to Palm has galvanized the
community into action.

     My name is Mathew Hounsell. I have a Bachelor of Computer Science from
the University of Wollongong, Australia ( I am Austalian ). I have been
programming for 6 years. QBASIC, Liberty Basic, VB ; Euphoria ; C/C++ ; Java
etc. I am good at C++ and currently work as a Software Engineer for a
Motorola.

     I'm not sure which part of the OS to work on. So I will work on
Testing. I would also work on the things like Docs and Management. I propose
we use inspections. They are proven effective and they are powerful.

     From a technical perspective I would like to see us remove the internal
coupling from the code so the actual kernel/drivers/graphics system is
unimportant. I think well defined minimal interfaces will help us progress.
It would be a shame to develop a world class File System and not support it
on Linux etc. Hopefully all it would take is  reimplementation of the
interface.

     Secondly we should start lists for the main development activities and
keep this as a common general list.

     Thirdly as Copyright is an issue, we can just use the Corporate
approach of project names. The complete OS : Universe, The kernel : Nucleus,
AppServer : Carbon. Or Something similar.

     I will see you monday.

 Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite Australia
 Visit http://inbox.excite.com.au/