[haiku] GSoC 2010 idea: BToolbar API

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "General Haiku ML" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:51:55 +0100

Hi guys.

I have an idea for a GSoC project. Before adding it to the wiki page at
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeIdeas , I'd like to run
it by you. Just to comment if it's in the scope of GSoC or desirable at
all.

A toolbar with symbols is a common GUI widget for applications. Since
app development is increasing - and hopefully will continue to do so
even before R1 is out - it would be a good idea not to force devs to
roll their own. It's really essential IMO to keep Haiku's target of a
consistent interface.

Here are a few features that I quickly came up with, the actual feature
set is a topic for further discussion and also depends on the eventual
project proposal:

 * horizontal/vertical positioning
 * tear-away toolbars
 * multi-tools that unfold (with a right-click?)
 * arbitrarily resizable symbols (vector)
 * show/hide labels
 * configuring via drag&drop
 * ...

Is the development and implementation of a "BToolbar" API in the scope
of a GSoC project?
The result will of course be a private API until all the kinks have
been worked out. Maybe it can soon have the status of the layout
managing API.

Should the API be tackled for the GSoC, it would be great if a graphics
designer (zuMi?) could be found, doing a consistent set of the most
needed symbols. This could be financially supported as a Haiku Code
Drive project or maybe a Haikuware bounty. An open design competition
and voting like with the regular icons could be done, if you think it's
needed.

IMO the symbols should of course be HVIF vector icons, maybe especially
optimized for 16x16 as that may be the most used size. Also, I think
this small size doesn't lend itself to the isometric perspective.
Therefore I'd propose to be strictly 2D.
Which leaves decisions for selected/not-selected/not-selectable, color
schemes etc.

 * color/grayscale
 * pressed button look
 * highlighted
 * inverted
 * outline
 * ...

As with the API, the actual design will require some discussion.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de