[haiku] Feedback from a BeOS demonstration

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:05:20 +1000

Heya,

I recently had the pleasure of demonstrating BeOS to the 3ivx development team.

I thought I would write down my thoughts from that demonstration.

The audience was composed of pretty much Windows developers with 1 or
2 Mac OS developers.

OS Features that impressed them:
Copying and Moving files with a right click.  Indeed I think they
rather liked the way the right click worked for most things.

Replicants made them sit up and take notice.  The idea of being able to
extract pieces of an application and embed them into the desktop was
something that they really liked.

Multiple Desktops.  Just like having 32 monitors only virtual :-)

Super Fast find, nothing like an indexed query. :-)

Live Queries, setting up queries and watching them autoupdate as you
copied files around or created new ones provoked a lot of discussion
about how it was done.

Changing Windows to display attributes so you could render a list of
files with the additional details

Apps that impressed them
ProcessController, they liked the way you could see everything working
while you examined the processes.

Problems
The version of BeOS I was given to demo on had BONE installed, I was
not very familiar with it and it crashed a few times.  The developers
used scp and ssh a lot to move files about so a good network stack is
a requirement.

Summary
Obviously BeOS is not Haiku (So why am I posting this here).  However,
BeOS is our inspiration and I thought you might be interested in the
areas that a 10 year old OS still manages to impress with.

--
Cheers
David