[openbeos] FAQ Item about GNU/Haiku

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 15:35:03 +0200 CEST

Hi,

can someone add this or something alike to the general FAQ ?
That would please RMS and set things right in case someone asks.

François.

Why don't you call it GNU/Haiku ?

While we do use the GNU tools in Haiku, we believe Haiku itself is a
full blown operating system, unlike Linux which is just a kernel which
requires the GNU tools and others to be usable as a distribution, and
also because the command line tools are less visible to the user than
on Unices, thus we just call it Haiku. We also build on many other
projects, but can't cite them all in a name. We however greatly value
the GNU project for their contribution to the Free Software and
technodiversity.