[haiku] Do we need a webstore for HaikuDepot to replace HaikuWare?

  • From: Richie Nyhus-Smith <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 19:43:07 +1200

Preface:
This message has already been posted to the Haiku Development Mailing List,
however it turns out HaikuDepot has already been future proofed to allow
for this. So it now just a question of whether this is an endeavour we want
to follow.

Hi all.

The Ubuntu Software Center (which inspired HaikuDepot) has a web frontend
which is aimed at end users. Could this help us make up for the loss of
HaikuWare?

The website can be found here: https://apps.ubuntu.com

Their end user frontend is open source and I have talked to a few people
about the possibility of us forking it and converting it to communicate
with HaikuDepot Server. With these modifications it could be used to pull
the icons, screenshots, rating and other such information housed on
HaikuDepot Server.

This user frontend would help people who are not running Haiku check out
what applications are available for Haiku, would help application
developers with their web presence (for search engine optimisation) and
would stop HaikuDepot Server from losing its clean focus on maintenance and
administration of the pacakage management system by us adding feature creep
for end users.

How it works for Ubuntu: When a user is at the Ubuntu Apps website and
are visting a page for an application that they wish to download, then they
can click the "Download this with the Ubuntu Software Center" button found
on that page. When a user clicks on this download link, it links to a
special uniform resource identifier (for example: apt://banshee), which
opens up the Ubuntu Software Center. The name of the requested package is
extracted from the uniform resource name and the user can install the
software (in the Ubuntu Software Center) with only a confirmation of their
request.

I have created a ticket for it (https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11774),
but I have been asked to post the idea on here for critique.

Regards,
Richard.