[openbeos] Re: Disk structure

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:26:05 +0100 (MET)

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Considering a system with only one OpenBFS partition, the first 3
> > disk
> > blocks shoud be organized in this way?
> I am not very knowledgable when it comes to this stuff, but it looks
> correct to me. Maybe others have more insight?

This would be correct for a DOS partitioned drive. The first partition
would start at block 2 - but there is usually a gap of some blocks
between the partition table and the start of the first partition to
have space for boot loaders or other additional stuff. Also, you're
assuming a block size of 512 bytes here, which might not be correct
forever :-)
BFS itself doesn't care about the first 512 bytes - it doesn't use it
at all. The contents can be arbitrary; the BFS super block must be at
offset 512, and is around 144 bytes long - the rest can be used
arbitrarily as well.
On x86 with BIOS, the stage 1 boot loader is placed in this free space,
but it might not be used at all on other systems, for example PPC.

Bye,
   Axel.