[openbeos] Cross compilation & ports

  • From: Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:22:23 -0400

In the midst of trying to get Haiku to crossbuild from OS X, I noticed that NewOS has a facility that can automatically build toolchains -- including fetching and patching the source, like BSD ports. This would be a really handy feature to have, and it got me thinking that a ports like thing for a lot of software we have (vi, libbind, etc.) could be very handy and reduce the size of our source tree. The way NetBSD handles this is ideal -- if you are building for a system that isn't yours, and don't have a toolchain set up, the build system makes you one, then uses it. It would be nice to have this kind of functionality.

Anyway, back to playing with jam and trying to make it like cross- compilers...
-Nathan